APRIL 2004

This beautiful Hallie was sent in by Ted Turner who also supplied the Nose Art in this Newsletter.

Accuracy of Bomber Command 
Stan Sullivan

As much has been said about the accuracy of Bomber Command during the early part of the war, I wish to recount two of the raids we were on that were right on he money, even if they were late in the war.

On March 15th. 1945 a daylight raid consisting of 150 Halifax, 24 Mosquito, 14 Lancaster aircraft of 4,6,8, Groups, attacked Benzol plants at Bottrop and Castrop/Rauxel. Both were rated as successful.

Our Squadron was on the Castrop/Rauxel plant. Squadron Leader Ken France had the smoke plume generator in his Halifax V11. At each turning point during the daylight raid, they emitted a smoke trail for the gaggle to follow. Our pilot Ken Bain was tucked right into the smoke emitting leader when someone in the first few aircraft hit pay dirt. There was an immediate plume of white smoke quickly followed by heavy black smoke visible for more than 50 miles from the burning target.

According to Bomber Command’s war Diaries, only one Halifax as lost on the Bottrop target. On our target 23 Halifax were damaged but all bombed the target and returned safely.

On April 15th. 1945 our crew was listed for Ops in Halifax H. As a crew we had a harrowing experience in H on March 8th. When the starboard outer failed on take-off. Foolishly we tried to make it to Hamburgh on three engines, then our port outer failed 100 miles over the North Sea making it difficult to turn or climb. We just made it back to Carnaby. After assurance the aircraft had four new engines and had been checked out, we agreed to fly.

 Heligoland Bite

The daylight target was Heligoland. The raid consisted of 617 Lancaster, 332 Halifax, and 20 Mosquito aircraft, a total of 969 bombers. On take-off our bomb load was 9 - 1000  pounders and the pilot kept the aircraft on the short runway right to the end and gently lifted off. The aircraft sank and would not climb. It felt like forever as we skimmed over tree tops when it finally smartened up and we climbed to 2,500 feet. Two Halifax aircraft collided and went down over the North Sea. The Pathfinders used Oboe controlled Mosquito aircraft to drop 4000 lb bombs into the North Sea 30 miles North of Heligoland. This created a huge boil in the water indicting a turning point for the gaggle to line up for the run in.

We were in the first aircraft to start the raid beginning with the airfield. The aircraft ahead of us blew up and we flew through the smoke cloud. The pictures of this target show three minutes of time over the airfield from our Squadron’s camera. And then the larger bombs were dropped on the Naval Base and the City. From our point of view they were bang on the Naval Base.

The trip home was uneventful and the pilot reported the unusual problem on take-off. A check found the main spar cracked and the aircraft was scrapped and carted away. We also heard that the CO who, upon witnessing our take-off, had sent the fire truck looking for our crash site. One thing about daylight raids was that you could see the results but you could also see the black puffs of flak filling the sky and other aircraft being hit. But that was a long time ago.

Ed. Stan sent a copy of their crew picture taken when they arrived at 432 Squadron however, my scanner would not make a clear reproduction. I guess it was the way it was copied. The picture shows the crew standing in one line with no hats, no smiles, and hands behind their backs. In conversation with Stan he said that all crews on arrival had their pictures taken in that order, left to right, and in the same pose. The powers-to-be told them that this was to assist in identification at crash sites. Comforting thought!

Plane VS Sub by W.F.Beals DFC 
Taken from 422 Squadron Newsletter March 2004
W/O Beales related the following story to F/O David Griffin, RCAF Public relations Officer.

 Back - George Clare, Doug Mesney, Jim Rutherford, Jim Stafford, Bill Beales
Front – Jack Shand, Art Bellis, Paul Sargent, Ches Steeves, Mike Stefanik
(Leo Needham, Flight Engineer, F/L Woodward, and Bill Campbell, 3rd pilot, were not present when the above crew picture was taken. George Clare in the picture is not mentioned in the crew list.)

Our crew was part of a Sunderland flying boat Squadron on Coastal Command. We had been together for more than a year, had flown thousands of miles on patrol, always lived in hope that we would spot the enemy. We liked our work; liked each other, and we liked our ship. You get attached to those Sunderlands. They are a great aircraft. 

One morning we were called and given a whopping breakfast. We knew there was something in the wind. It was cold and there was suspicion of fog rolling around the corners of the buildings as we jogged over to ops for our briefing. The crew was F/L Paul Sargent, Toronto, Skipper, F/O Art Bellis, Victoria, Co-pilot, P/O Chesley Steves, Elgin, NB., was at the Navigator’s desk, F/O Bill Campbell, RAF, was Third pilot. Others were: F/L Woodward, Flt/Sgt. Needham, Georgie Rutherford and Douglas Mesney, RAF; Flt/Sgt. J.D. Stafford, Calgary on waist guns, P/O J.D. Shand, Lethbridge AB, wireless air gunner, and myself as radio operator. We’d figured on something pretty big, but when they told us that five aircraft would take off on a straight sweep, we had an idea we were going to get our wish – that this time we would really tangle with the enemy.

It was dark when we took off and the engines were rolling over like a song. Daylight broke grey and down below the ocean was rolling. You see a lot of ocean when on patrol, so no one bothered to admire the beauties of nature. But we were watching.

I was up forward when we got to the place where we were supposed to turn back. We had been flying straight out for nine hours. Then around one o’clock in the afternoon we got a sighting – two enemy submarines. I couldn’t believe it at first. It was like when you are fishing and you’re just about to give up when you get a big strike.

I let out a yell and the Skipper gave her the gun. At the same time he snapped over the intercom, “Attacking immediately.” The Skipper was standing up trying to get more speed out of her. The Third Pilot, Bill Campbell was in the co-pilot’s seat, Bellis and Shand were by the waist guns and camera, Stafford in the mid-upper turret; George Rutherford in the tail turret; Needham on the job as Engineer, and I was banging away at the radio, sending out the first sighting report.

We’d been hunting subs for months and here were two, surfaced, and running along about 10 to 11 knots on a 90 degree course. The Skipper took her down, took a bit of evasive action and then started his run. Then we saw the enemy were staying on the surface to shoot it out with us. We were not concerned as the shell bursts drifted past, but we took it differently when we got within range. Just as we were going in for the kill a shell exploded in the front of the Sunderland blowing everything to pieces. I didn’t know whether it was a 20mm or an Oerlikon shell but it sure messed things up. The Skipper kept right on. Tracers were coming up thick and fast but he shoved her down.

We took from 20 to 30 hits. The jolts were terrific. Every time we took one the Sunderland would shake and shudder, and go on. Shells knocked out our radio, put holes in the hull you could stick your head through. They had us in a cross fire and if we wanted to get in on them we had to take it. The Skipper could have broken off the attack, he would have been justified – but that wasn’t our Skipper. The big compass took a hit and was knocked clean through the side of the ship leaving a hole you could crawl through.

We were so busy we didn’t notice the uproar. You’re too intent on what you have to do, that’s where training comes in. We went over the sub at 75 feet and the depth charges were away, but they were short. You could see them spout up just behind the sub, but not close enough. At the same time Shand and Stafford were firing into the gun crews. Tracers from our Sunderland were pouring onto the deck of the first sub and at the same time we were taking fire from the other one. The gun crews wilted, and one subs guns stopped.

We kept on taking hits ourselves and this is where the business about P/O Shand losing his pants comes in.  Our intercom had been knocked out and I had to run up and down stairs with instructions from the Skipper to the men at battle stations. The Sunderland is a big ship with two decks so, with no intercom, you needed a messenger boy. When I go to Shand he was sitting on the floor, no pants, and holding up the broken plug from his intercom. He pointed at it and pointed at where his pants should be. Bellis, with his helmet blown clean of his head, and Stafford, were standing over him. Those two started to laugh and they got me going too. Then Shand cracked a smile. We just roared. When I got back on the top deck, Needham the Engineer, was singing at the top of his voice.

But we were hurt. Our good old ship was loggy on the controls when we came about for the second attack. The Skipper was putting her in again! The sailors on the sub we had attacked had manned their guns again and the other one joined in sending up a regular curtain of fire. It was cross fire down low, just where we would have to go to get at them.

The Skipper bulled in – ignoring all evasive action to make sure of a kill. The old girl was down to 75 feet and going straight through the fire. There was another shuddering whallop and Needham and Woodward were killed. We went over the sub, taking the cross fire and dropped more charges. Rutherford in the tail turret let out a yell that could be heard throughout the ship. The sub seemed to lift about four feet and then it was gone, no crash dive. It just disappeared. There were no cheers. We were all too busy.

I was on a machine gun strafing the decks of the remaining sub. A shell hit near me. I felt a jar against my hand. The handle of the machine gun had been shot out from between my fingers. The remaining sub kept firing until we were out of range. I then realized I could hear screaming above the engines which were banging as if they would come apart, but this screaming rose above them.

Lower deck on Sunderland looking back towards tail turret. Note catwalk.

Stafford and Shand went forward over the catwalk to get the two dead gunners into the wardroom. Everything below the catwalk had been shot away, leaving the whole front of the ship just hanging there. When they crossed the catwalk there was nothing under them but ocean. They got the gunners out and I rushed to see where the screams were coming from.

It was Steves, the Navigator. He was on the floor beside his table. There was no hope of saving him. He was still alive and he knew me. He made a motion and I bent down. He could hardly talk. His good hand held his navigator’s pencil. As I bent close he said, “We’re in 50, 40, and course to convoy is 46. Tell the Skipper.” Then he held up his  right hand, still holding the pencil, and gave me a thumbs up sign. I damn near cried. Making that sign was the last thing Steves ever did.

There was no use moving him so I went to the Skipper with the position and reported damage. Our starboard outer was making 2,350 revolutions a minute; our starboard inner 2,100, port outer 700, and port inner 300 revs. They were nearly torn apart but were still on the job. We had no compass, little control and losing height. All our dinghies except one had been shot out of the wings.

The Skipper hauled her around and headed for the convoy 20 miles way. He ordered us to get ready for ditching. How we went the 20 miles none of us will ever know. Maybe the skipper put some of himself into the ship because she managed to hang together. I was busy with the wireless trying to make it run and everyone went to the station assigned by the Skipper. We didn’t do it according to the book, because at times like that there are things that the book doesn’t take into account.

We spotted one of the escort ships and our flares went out. I had the Aldis lamp and was flashing signals. Then the Skipper let her down. We hit 100 feet to the lee of the escort, landing on the crest of a breaking wave and bounced into the air. The breaking wave filled the lower half of our hull. The tail came off and we were knocked around. I came to under water and must have gotten out through a hole in the aircraft. Shand crawled through the broken tail, Mesney, with a broken leg, went through a hole in the floor, as did Stafford and Rutherford.

She was still floating when I came up and the escort was right along side. Bellis lay on one of the wings, snarled in loose wires. A sailor skinned down a ladder and got him free.

The Skipper and Campbell must have been thrown through the glass in front because I saw the Skipper come up about 40 feet in front of the Sunderland. I grabbed the ship’s ladder. The escort had drifted close to the Skipper. Campbell was on the ladder with me and we made a grab for the Skipper’s jacket. We got him up to the ladder but he was caught in some wires from the sinking Sunderland.  Then she gave a lurch and went down. Paul Sargent was pulled out of our grasp and went down with her.

I think that the few seconds that Campbell and I hung onto the ladder and looked down into the ocean, where the old Sunderland was drifting down with the skipper, were the worst either of us will ever have. When we got onto the deck the doctor and medical orderlies led us away, cut off our cloths, and put us to bed.

We were able to give the course and location of the other sub and the Destroyer Drury left in a hurry. We heard it came back later licking its chops. They were sure they had made a kill.

The Drury brought us to Newfoundland where we recovered in a few days. I’d like to note something before winding up. A Sunderland is a good swap for two submarines, but that can’t make up for our Skipper and the pals we lost.

Nose Art
Ted Turner

Hi John! Here is the photo of our crew with the names . I am not sure you can put names to the rest of the pics but if not let me know. My pilot Pat just heard from Karl Kjarsgaard in Ottawa who is tracing down another Halifax bomber that ditched near Scotland in 1945 and seems to be in good enough condition to salvage so he is trying to go after it .Our crew had flown on missions in that same Aircraft so he was interested in interviews from my skipper. I will send you briefs on that also. 

 L to R -Adam “Shorty” Kell, E.B. “Ted” Turner, Peter Provias,
Lloyd “Pat” Patten, Ron Watson, Bob Hill, Gordon Ford.

Queen of them All

Friday the 13th.

From Don Macfie’s Diary

August 25, 1942 – This evening an aircraft (Sunderland) from 228 Squadron RAF crashed into a Scottish hillside with the Duke of Kent on board. All were killed with the exception of rear gunner Flt/Sgt Andy Jack.  P/O Saunders the Navigator was with us in Debert NS. That is eight Debert boys lost since we came over in June.

August 27 – We flew over to Invergordon today, taking the CO of 288 over to see about the return of the bodies from the crash. We went up Caledonia Canal and by Inverness. We flew up the valley between the mountains. It was really the nicest scenery I had ever seen. 

Note: some weeks later at Oban I was standing at a bar and noticed Andy Jack beside me. He was jut out of hospital minus most of his nose. I asked him what had happened. He leaned over and whispered, “I think the Duke was flying.”

Ed – Don sent us a large number of black and whites he had taken during the war. I scanned them into the computer and mailed the originals back to him. We will share  these with our readers in the future. Here is one that will bring back memories.

AC2 Don Macfie on Guard Duty at #17 Equipment Depot, RCAF Victoria Island, Ottawa.
“When you draw duty at the gate you have to look smart.”
Guard Duty is one thing most of us experienced. 
Lets hear about your days walking the perimeter fence.

Ed - Let me relate one of mine:

When we were transferred from Brandon Manning Depot to #2 Wireless School in Calgary AB., April 1941, the School could not accommodate us. Result, Guard Duty for three weeks.

The first few days we guarded #10 Repair Depot in down town Calgary adjacent to the wild animal park. On my first shift patrolling the perimeter fence at 3 a.m., the local lion roared. I almost had laundry to do!

Then 12 of us, with a corporal in charge, were sent on temporary duty to guard the airfield at High River, AB. There were no personnel there as the station was just being constructed. Our job was to prevent bales of shingles, piles of lumber, carpenter’s tools and contracting equipment, from walking away during the night. We had 12 hours on and 12 hours off. While we were off we were billeted with families in High River.  It was a pleasant change from barracks. Gordon Lee and I stayed with the Bairds.

At the air base there was just a small Guard shack with double deck bunks, a hot plate for making tea, cans of condensed milk, and lots of stray cats. Food came out from Calgary in heated containers but I think it lost most of its steam at the Okotok’s hill.

They gave us Lee Enfield rifles on which we had received no training. There had been cases of chaps firing off a few rounds so they took away our ammunition. Some chaps found ammo and more rounds were fired.   They took the bolts from our rifles, leaving us with the stock, barrel, and the long bayonet.

One moonlit night my buddy and I had removed the “big knife” from our rifles and were having fun throwing our bayonets into bales of shingles. Suddenly a vehicle pulled up and a Flying Officer and W02  (ground types) stepped out. We were caught with our bayonets stuck in the shingles. I shouldered arms and came to attention. My buddy tried to take the ‘on guard’ stance. The officer shouted at him. “Let me inspect your rifle airman.” 

My colleague said, “Yes Sir,” and tossed his rifle to the officer.

The officer caught it and started screaming at us, “ Don’t you know you should never give up your weapon to a stranger. I could shoot you both!”

“Oh, no you couldn’t Sir,” said my friend. 

“And why not,” said the officer levelling the rifle at us.

“No ammunition, no bolt Sir.”

The officer and NCO looked closely at the rifle. Quietly he said, “Oh yes, I see,” and handed the rifle back. The two walked to their car and drove away. We think they had made a few pub stops before arriving.

On a very hot day one of the chaps was sleeping strip-jack-naked on a top bunk in the guard shack. We decided to pour some condensed milk on his stomach and then put a big tabby cat up onto the bunk. The cat immediately began to clean up the milk. A moment later the poor chap awoke, sat bolt upright, took a swing at the cat, which, not to be deprived of his lunch, dug in his claws. When the airman and cat hit the floor the shack was deserted.

Ok, lets have your stories.


Dear John,

Thank you for your note about our reunion (Burma Bomber Association) in Short Bursts for September 2003. We had a great “do” and are still finding new members who have just leaned of our existence.

I have now become President of the Association and thought the attached might be of interest to some of your Members. Thanks also on the write up on Jock McBride. 


I was with  99 Squadron on Island of Cocos. Harry Bray was on 356 Squadron which was also on Cocos. (Harry Bray passed away Dec. 29, 2003.)

Thanks again,

Larry Wynn.

Burma Bomber Association
9 Abinger Crescent,
Etobicoke. Ont.
Canada. M9B 2Y5

The following is a letter passed to Larry by George Hosegood concerning a similar Association in the UK. 

24 Seafield Avenue,
BN12 4NJ  UK
Tel. 01903 245970
Email: alanrumbelow@eurobell.co.uk

Feb. 2, 2004.

Dear George,

I have been given your name and address by Ron Bramley, who is a member of the Burma Bombers and who attended last year’s reunion.

I am one of the organizers of the above mentioned Association which has been meeting for Reunions at Stratford-upon-Avon for some years now. Our numbers are dropping but we have a hard core of members who intend to keep it going a long as possible. We still occasionally enjoy welcoming new members who have not previously known about us.

We all flew in Liberators and, as you will probably be aware, we were RAF aircrew who trained at the RCAF OTU at Boundary Bay and Abbotsford for eventual posting to the far east.

I wonder whether there may be any members of Burma Bombers who also trained at 5 OUT but who have not heard of our organization. I am writing to say that should this be the case, we would be pleased to enjoy their company at future reunions. Indeed, any aircrew who flew Liberators elsewhere, and who would be interested in joining us, will also be welcome.

Would it be possible please for you to include a short item regarding this matter in a future newsletter.

Yours sincerely,

Alan E. Rumbelow.


I was printing up some Short Bursts for my father Fred Burnyeat off the website and thought you might be interested in a picture I took of Dad on Remembrance Day.

He continues to do well, and thoroughly enjoys the Short Bursts. It brings back many memories, which we are lucky enough to share.

Keep up the excellent work.

Bob Burnyeat, MSAA
AODBT Architecture Interior Design
301 Third Avenue South
Saskatoon, Sk   S7K 1M6
P 306.244.5101
F 306.244.0301

Fred Burnyeat – 2003 – And it still fits.

Dear John and Doreene;

I came across your web site quite by accident and was delighted to have stumbled onto it.

My name is Gordon Hobbs and I reside in the Toronto area. My father was Charles "Hobby" Hobbs who passed away a few years ago.

My father joined the RCAF as a young lad and trained as a tail gunner. He was sent overseas where he eventually was assigned with a RAF unit. For most of his flights he was a tail gunner on a Lancaster.

During the last number of missions my father's crew was re assigned as part of a pathfinder unit As unbelievable as it may sound my father and his crew mates where on their 42 or 43 mission before being shot down.

My dad's pilot's surname was McNichol (sp) who was from somewhere in Saskatchewan. Unfortunately he did not survive the attack and subsequent crash in occupied territory. My father was the only survivor of the crash and was taken prisoner where he spent the last two years of the war.

My father says that McNichol was the bravest man he ever met. Rather than parachuting out of the damaged plane and saving his own life he kept it in flight long enough to give my father time to climb through the chute to the front of the aircraft. By that time the aircraft had lost too much altitude and the two were destined to crash. However as the Lancaster was going down a German fighter in a cowardly fashion re-attacked them, killing pilot McNichol.

If it is of any interest to you I will obtain a copy of my father's book that he subsequently wrote while a resident in the veteran's wing of Sunnybrook hospital in Toronto and forward it to you.

Ed. - Gordon sent three copies of his Dad’s book, PAST TENSE - CHARLIE’S STORY. A copy has gone to Member Jim Cole in Balgonie Sk., and Charley Yule in Winnipeg, with instructions to “share”.

Thank you Gordon for encouraging your Dad to do this work and for sharing it with our Members.


Past Tense  CHARLIE’S STORY   by Charlie Hobbs
1994 - Soft cover –208 pages – 26 illustrations.
IBSN 1-896182-11-9
$18.95 plus $4.50 postage and GST.

To order:  General Store Publishing House
                1 Main St.,
                Burnstown, Ontario, Canada. K0J 1G0

publisher@gsph.com            http://www.gsph.com 

Charlie Hobbs, Ex-Air Gunner, RCAF, has left us a priceless legacy. Charlie’s account of his experiences in WWII begins in Toronto in 1940. It is the writer’s use of innuendo and his sense of humour that makes this work so compelling. Often it is what he leaves to his reader’s imagination which speaks volumes, e.g. an English girl friend’s suggestion, on a sunny Sunday afternoon, that they park their bicycles next to a secluded haystack.

Charlie’s service account unfolds as follows. Through the first 56 pages Charlie takes you from Manning Deport to OTU, then 40 pages cover operations consisting of 43 missions, and the final 100 pages move though numerous POW Camps.

At #16 OTU Upper Heyford, Oxfordshire, Charlie’s crew were seconded to help make up the numbers in Churchill’s retaliatory 1000 bomber raids, their first baptism to fire. After a brief time with #207 Squadron, they moved to #83 Squadron  P.F.F (Pathfinder Force) , at Wyton, Huntingdonshire (Wyton Hunts). Many of their missions were to Italian targets. April 16/17 1943, on their 44th operational flight to Skoda Works, Pilsen, Czechoslovakia, their luck ran out.

There is a vivid description of survival in numerous POW camps. It is an account of resourcefulness, ingenuity, and devious schemes to keep their enemy custodians off balance. Much of this is described with gallow’s humour.

If you served as aircrew during WWII, regardless of what theatre of operations, you will be able to relate to many of Charlie’s experiences. You will pause and say, “Yeah, that reminds me of when….”

I recommend this book for your WWII Book Shelf.

                                                                                           Reviewed by John Moyles

Branch Reports

Smokey Robson, faithful as ever, phoned to say that the Northern Saskatchewan Group were keeping their monthly luncheon attendance to 20/22 members and enjoying the moment.    Thanks Smokey.

Editor’s Report

We thank Stan Sullivan for his contribution to this page and also Don Macfie for his black and whites and for his support of our newsletter over the years. We encourage other members to put pen to paper. Without you we will not be able to publish.

This Page is being read around the world. A Neil Mennie emailed us from New York. His father, Fergus Mennie, who has passed away, was a bomb-aimer in the RCAF. He typed his father’s name and squadron into a search engine on the net and, “Walla” up comes Short Bursts right to the month (June 2002)


where his Dad was in a crew photo. We were able to put him in touch with his Dad’s Wop/Ag, Ted Rainer 

For members on the internet, or those who have family on the net, I would like to mention a free program I belong to. The purpose of this program is to unite “Netters” and give them an opportunity to exchange ideas. It is a lot of fun. For a laugh, and to witness what Father Time has done to the old curmudgeon, check out my site at:


Let us hear from you, and don’t forget to pass the hat for our benefactor, The C.A.T.P. Museum in Brandon. And a big collective thank you to our busy Web Master, Bill Hillman.

Until May, Keep well.

John & Doreene Moyles – editors.

Please drop us some copy and pictures for May Issue.
Keep well.
John and Doreene Moyles
Ste. 233 - 1060 Dorothy St.,
Regina, Sask.     S4X 3C5  CANADA
Ph. (306) 949-6112
Email  moyles@sasktel.net
Regional Meetings

Southern Ontario Chapter
Royal Canadian Legion
Wilson Branch 527
948 Sheppard Avenue West
We meet the first Wednesday of each month at the Legion hall 1:00 pm. 
No meetings July, August, September.
Contact persons: 
Ken Hill  ~  President ~  905.789.1912
Bill Cockburn  ~  Secretary ~  416.492.1024
Email:  piperbill@rogers.com

Location - Royal Canadian Legion Br.#4 St. James Legion.
Date - Third Thursday of each month.
Time - Luncheon meeting (provide your own lunch).
Contact Member - Charlie Yule Ph. (204) 254-6264.

Northern Saskatchewan
Location - Lynx Wing Ave. C North, Saskatoon.
Date - Third Monday of the month.
Time - Luncheon meetings.
Contact Member - C.A. "Smokey" Robson  Ph. (306) 374-0547.

Northern Alberta Branch
Location - Norwood Branch 178, 11150 – 82 Street, Edmonton, AB
Date -  The first Thursday of each month.
Time - 12:00 hours.
Contact Members - E. H. "Ted" Hackett (780)962-2904 
or Sven Jensen (780)465-7344.

Southern Alberta
Location - Royal Canadian Legion  #264 
Kensington, Calgary
Date: Second Monday of each month.
Time - 11:30 hours.
Contact Member: Dave Biggs Ph: (403)236-7895
or Doug Penny Ph: (403)242-7048.
October meeting time moved to third Monday. 
Also there are no meetings in July and August, however, a Barbecue is usually held  at Larry Robinson's ranch in Okatoks during that time.

British Columbia Branch

Meeting time and local: 2nd Tuesday of each month at 11:30 
Firefighters Social & Athletic Club, 
6515 Bonsor Avenue, 
Burnaby, B.C. V5H 3E8 
Super eating facilities
Contact person - Dave Sutherland       Ph. 604-431-0085
E-mail distilledwater@shaw.ca

Members across the Country are encouraged to 
send current information regarding 
regular meeting places, dates, and Contact Members, to

John and Doreene Moyles, 
Ste. 233 - 1060 Dorothy St., 
Regina, Sask.     S4X 3C5  CANADA
Ph. (306) 949-6112

Email moyles@sasktel.net

Members are requested to send their experiences, articles, anecdotes, pictures, etc., to John Moyles and I will forward them to our Web Master in Brandon. Articles and Last Post items will be deleted from the page each month after the designated Member in each region has had an opportunity to copy the material for their Members. Notices of deceased Members are to be sent to Charlie Yule who is still our 'Keeper of the Rolls'. This is your SHORT BURSTS with no printing or mailing costs, and no deadlines! The Brandon Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum has agreed to host our AG page. However, as it costs the Museum $35.00 per month to maintain the Web Page, it is suggested that each Ex-AG group contribute periodic donations to the Museum to help off-set this expense, and to enhance the work they are doing. 

We thank our Web Master, Bill Hillman, for his volunteer time and expertise.

Donations can be made directly to: 

CATP Museum Inc.
Box 3, Grp. 520, RR5,
Brandon, MB   R7A 5Y5
 Phone: (204) 727-2444


Read Them All The Way Back To March 2001
Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum
Visit Our WWII Nostalgia Online e-Zine 
and Past Issues Archive at:
As You Were: Contents
Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum: RCAFHMCS Prince Robert: Hillman WWII Scrapbook - RCNXII Dragoons - 26 RCA Museum

Volunteer Webmaster: William G. Hillman
41 Kensington Crescent
Brandon, MB  R7A 6M4
 © 2008 Bill Hillman and Ex-Air Gunners Association