Scores of High Quality Reprints in PDF
Just arrived at the Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum
a donated Norseman Aircraft.
Photo from Mr. Clark - Brandon
An amazing freak landing with no loss of life. ~ Wartime Gimli
About 120 aircraft arrive at McGill Field on the July 19.
Afternoon/Evening: Public/Media Invited to watch CF Arrive/BBQ/Beer Tent
The troupe will participate in events and a dinner on July 20
The flight will fly out on July 21
For more on this historic squadron of aircraft see:
THE CENTURY OF FLIGHT WEBSITE
2009 Doors Open Brandon Heritage Tour
July 18 & 19, 2009 marks the 8th annual Doors Open Brandon Heritage Tour.
The goal of this two day Self-guided tour, is to raise awareness with the public about
Brandon's historical buildings of architectural and historical significance
that are not readily accessible to the public.
Official Tour Passports will be available on Friday July 17 at the
Treasury Dept. City Hall, Riverbank Discovery Centre and at HomeLife Realty.
The hours of operation are 1:00 - 5:00 pm on both 18th & 19th, unless otherwise noted in the passport.
The featured Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum will be showing
BRANDON, Manitoba - A piece of World War II's flight training history is being preserved for future generations at the Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum (CATP) with a $375,000 investment through the Canada-Manitoba Municipal Rural Infrastructure Fund.
The Honourable Scott Smith, Minister of Competitiveness, Training and Trade, on behalf of the Honourable Ron Lemieux, Minister of Infrastructure and Transportation and Merv Tweed, Member of Parliament for Brandon-Souris, on behalf of the Honourable Rona Ambrose, President of the Queen's Privy Council for Canada, Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs and Minister of Western Economic Diversification, made the announcement today.
"We are pleased to be able to provide funding for this project that will restore and preserve a treasure from our past. Now Manitobans and visitors from around the world will have better access to the facility and can learn more about our role in the history of flight training," said Minister Smith. "This is one of the most significant, remaining World War II flight training facilities and we are proud that our history and valuable artifacts will be preserved."
"The Commonwealth Air Training Plan played a crucial role in World War II and the contribution and sacrifice made by those that went through the Plan cannot be forgotten," said Merv Tweed. "Canada's New Government is ensuring that the pride Brandon residents have in their part of that incredible undertaking will resonate with generations to come." This is the fifth of 13 infrastructure projects totaling more than $17 million being announced in Manitoba by Canada's New Government and the Province of Manitoba.
The Commonwealth Air Training Plan (CATP) is the largest remaining WWII flight training facility in North America that is still accessible to visitors. The CATP is a designated Provincial and National historical site where pilots from across Europe and North America trained during WWII. The $375,000 investment through MRIF will allow the CATP to improve the facility's infrastructure to provide for a better visitor's experience.
"The Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum is very pleased to have been approved for funding through MRIF," said Stephen Hayter, Executive Director, CATP. "It is support of government agencies such as this that will ultimately mean the success of our Above & Beyond Capital Project and the preservation of an important part of Canadian history." More specific details of the other projects receiving contributions through MRIF will be revealed at events with local partners held throughout the province over the coming weeks. The projects being announced support MRIF's green and recreation project categories.
The Canada-Manitoba Municipal Rural Infrastructure Fund (MRIF) is investing a total of $120 million in communities across Manitoba. Of the total funds, 80 per cent of MRIF is earmarked for communities with a population under 250,000, including 198 municipalities and 50 unincorporated Northern Community Councils in rural and northern Manitoba. The remaining 20 per cent is for communities with populations over 250,000. More information on Canada and Manitoba infrastructure projects can be found at http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca and